Today we open the conversation around an incredibly sensitive and vital topic: Birth Trauma.
While you may wonder simply, what is Birth Trauma? You may also wish to know how to tell if it is happening to you or someone you love. How can you tell if it has happened? What can you do to prepare yourself for the unexpected in birth? And how might we go about healing when something does go awry in our birth experience?
Over the next few months, we will hear from a handful of mothers and professionals as we dive into the topic of Birth Trauma. We will hear personal stories of challenging births and sacred window experiences, and the healing journeys that ensued. We will also learn about various healing techniques and the transformational possibilities of healing work.
So to open up this vulnerable topic, I teamed up with mother, community leader, & radical birth worker Lynnea Laessig to explore:
- Defining Birth Trauma and expanding our perspectives
- Some ways an individual may recognize if they or someone they love has experienced or is experiencing Birth Trauma
- Preparing ourselves for the unexpected without obsessing about possible outcomes; Readying ourselves to go through birth intact and present with ourselves and our experience
- Village Prenatals as a way to build community around birthing women
- Birth Story Medicine Sessions for healing and integrating our birth experiences
Listen to our video interview here:
As you journey with us through the vulnerability, grief, and healing; I’d love for you to keep these truths close at heart and hand:
- We cannot totally prevent Birth Trauma. Birth is a part of life — it is as organic and rich with unexpected moments as life itself.
- Healing is nonlinear, personal, and totally possible. Your journey is as unique as you are.
- Above all else: It’s not your fault.
Potent Resources for Your Healing Journey
Along with the blog posts that you will see coming up, here are a few of my favorite healing resources:
- Healing Birth – a perinatal support organization committed to fostering women-centered community and re-normalizing physiologic birth; offering Birth Story Listening sessions and the Healing Birth podcast.
- Heal Your Birth Story: Releasing the Unexpected – powerful book by psychologist & mom Maureen Campion — “This book offers you a chance to experience the healing power of working through your birth story, while learning about trauma and developing coping skills for all those complicated feelings.”
- Mothering from your Center: Tapping Your Body’s Natural Energy for Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting – book by mother & holistic women’s healthcare provider Tami Lynn Kent — a beautiful companion for mothering in wholeness and fullness; with great exercises and wisdom for the full childbearing spectrum, including loss.