Ayurdoula and massage therapist Ameya Duprey shares her passion for the beautiful & loving postpartum care practice known as abhyanga.
Ameya Duprey was my mentor when I studied with the original Sacred Window School in 2016. She is a true gift to mothers and doulas. So it is with great pleasure that I share this incredibly inspiring and rich conversation with you.
Abhyanga is one of the pillars of Ayurvedic postpartum care.
Sneha is the Sanskrit term for oil, and it means “love.” As Ameya reminds us – oil massage is a form of liquid love for postpartum mothers, aiding beautifully in their rejuvenation process and nourishing their bodies down to the deepest tissues. Postpartum abhyanga soothes the nervous system, offering mothers a much needed sense of containment and softening. Oil massage lowers cortisol levels, improves sleep, and — it just feels good!
Many Ayurdoulas provide abhyanga for mothers, as well as teaching mothers how to give this gift to themselves as part of their self-care routine. The benefits are so deep and profound, it’s easy to see why practitioners in the field of Mother Care LOVE abhyanga! As Ameya shares,
“I want to see more practitioners offering this work for mamas so that they have that opportunity to receive in that very deep way they deserve. So that they in turn can have all of the energy and strength they need to give to their babies and give to their families; so that we can raise the next generation of very empowered, beautiful, healthy individuals.”
Our talk covers:
- Ameya’s background in Ayurveda and postpartum care
- Highlights from Ameya’s earliest experiences with postpartum abhyanga, both personally and professionally
- Why this form of bodywork is SO magical & healing for mothers
- The biggest difference between practitioner given and self-provided abhyanga
- How to make the most of your abhyanga experience
- Common contraindications
- Longer term impacts of abhyanga
- Ameya’s vision for the future of postpartum care
Connect with Ameya at www.shakticare.com or email her at Ameya@shakticare.com.